It is generally confusing as to choose which type of hosting for a website or blog. In this article, we will show you the major differences between all the three hosting services so that it becomes easy for you to choose.
VPS is a virtualized server which stands for virtual private server. A dedicated server with a shared hosting environment is a VPS hosting. Technically a combination of shared hosting and a dedicated server is known as VPS hosting. If you are planning a dedicated server for you and you are not sure that if it is right for you or not, then VPS hosting is the best option available for you.
VPS hosting uses the same technology as VMware and virtual box use. A number of virtualized operating systems are allowed to run these programs on one machine. For example, if your computer or laptop is running on windows8 then along with this you can also use other operating systems like Linux or Windows XP.
Here are few benefits of using VPS hosting,
- No website on the server can potentially access your data. So a good privacy is a benefit of VPS hosting.
- It has a good control too. So if you require a system restart while installing server applications, you can do it anytime without any hindrance. Without affecting anyone else you can restart your own VPN server anytime you want.
- You have an own operating system with a VPN server. So you have your very own instances for server applications like PHP, MySQL and Apache. To make the server work according to your needs you can make changes and you can make the services customized according to your wish.
- A dedicated amount of RAM is always available for you on a VPS server at any time. While on the other hand if you are using shared hosting then there might be a chance that someone else is using the RAM while you need it the most at a point.
There are some disadvantages associated with VPS hosting which are listed here,
- The main issue associated with VPS hosting is the maintenance problem. It is difficult to maintain operating system and uptime because each website has its own operating system.
- Software failure or a security issue is also a major problem associated with it.
- Sometimes the necessary hosting resources are not provided by the hosting providers.
A service provider provides a shared hosting to serve for multiple websites or blogs with a separate domain name for each one of the websites from a single web server. This way of hosting websites is cheaper as compared to another hosting. But if your website has gained a relavent traffic then it will not be sufficient to fulfil the needs of a larger audience.
There will be a lot of options available for you when you are thinking of a hosting service for your website. For those who are planning to develop their website for the first time then shared hosting is a good option for them.
Shared hosting allows a number of websites to utilize a single server. Its customers usually don’t have any idea that with whom they are sharing their website hosting with.
Here are few benefits associated with shared hosting,
- It is easy for its customers to manage their websites because shared hosting usually comes up with a built-in c-panel.
- Technical maintenance is a part of the hosting package so on your end you will not be doing any technical maintenance.
- Shared hosting is by far the cheapest hosting services available. It usually comes up with rates like 2.99$ to 9.99$.
- The thing which makes shared hosting the best place to start is that you can upgrade your hosting package with the time.
Besides the advantages shared hosting also have some disadvantages which are listed below.
- You cannot get the best level of output from your website or blog because shared hosting lacks some customization options.
- The loading time is way too slow as compared to dedicated servers.
- Due to the number of websites shared with a single server, your website can get slow and overburdened.
- It is a worse option if you have a huge traffic on your website.
Dedicated Server Hosting:
A dedicated server hosting is devoted to a server a single purpose only like a website. It is in contrast with shared hosting as in shared hosting a number of websites are run by a single server.
We will look into some benefits of using dedicated server hosting. A few of them are listed below,
- It is important that a website is functional all the time. Clients are not used to waiting in this world of convenience. A dedicated server provides you stability as well as high performance to make sure that the websites and other functions are working 100% perfectly.
- An effective support makes sure that the chances of site disruption are kept to the minimum. A fully managed and a good hosting service provider company gives its services round the clock to make it easy for their customers. A dedicated server comes up with a good support for its customers.
- People who are using dedicated server already for hosting their websites know how efficiently its security features work. It has inbuilt firewall configurations and antivirus with it.
- that dedicated server that is located within the data centres can get some more security features like security guards, mantraps and biometric authentication.
There are also some disadvantages associated with it like,
- While comparing with shared hosting it server congestion is not a big issue associated with a dedicated server.
- A major problem of a dedicated server is the cost. It will take a lot amount of cost and time if your dedicated server is not managed perfectly.
- Lack of free scripts and other features are a disadvantage of the dedicated server which is usually provided by the shared hosting services.